Cruiser Houston Collection, 1917-2008 | University of Houston Libraries
These original materials are available in Special Collections.
This collection consists of materials in a wide variety of formats that document the history of the USS Houston (CA-30) and her crew. A significant portion of the material dates from the period 1929 to 1945. There is also a large quantity of material that dates from the 1980s to the present.
The materials have been divided into four major categories:
• Core Material is the material most frequently requested by researchers, and includes Photographs, Negatives and Slides, Correspondence, Diaries, Blue Bonnets, Deck Logs, Reports, Statements, Rosters, and POW Camp Records.
• Printed Material includes Citations, Certificates, Programs, Booklets and Pamphlets, Documents, Newsletters, Articles, and Clippings.
• Literary Productions include Personal Accounts, Typescripts/Historical Accounts, Oral Histories, Commemorative Booklets, Poetry, and Speeches.
• Other Material includes primarily material in formats other than papers or photographs, such as Scrapbooks, Invitations, Menus, Memorabilia, Film and Video Recordings, Audio Recordings, Maps and Ships' Plans, Miscellaneous Artworks, Framed Items, and Plaques.
Books and commercial videotapes have been removed from the collection and incorporated into the library's cataloged holdings. These may be found by searching the UH Libraries' catalog by author, using the phrase "Cruiser Houston Collection."
• William A. Bernrieder Collection (http://archon.lib.uh.edu/?p=collections/controlcard&id=273)
• Samuel Milner U.S.S. Houston (CA-30) and 2nd Battalion, 131st Field Artillery Papers (http://archon.lib.uh.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=192)
• Captain Albert H. Rooks Papers (http://archon.lib.uh.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=461)
• USS Houston Blue Bonnet Newsletters digital collection (http://digital.lib.uh.edu/cdm4/about_collection.php?CISOROOT=/p15195coll22)
• A permanent exhibit of materials from the Cruiser Houston Collection is on display in the M.D. Anderson Library of the University of Houston.
• The UH Libraries also maintains a digital exhibit on the USS Houston (CA-30) online (http://info.lib.uh.edu/sca/digital/cruiser/cruiserh.htm).
Series 1: Photographs, 1917-2003
Series 2: Negatives and Slides, 1927-2002
Series 3: Correspondence, 1932-2000
Series 4: Diaries, 1941-
Series 5: Blue Bonnets, 1933-2008
Series 6: Deck Logs, 1940-1942
Series 7: Reports, [ca. 1942] - 1947
Series 8: Statements, 1945-1950
Series 9: Rosters, 1942-1998
Series 10: POW Camp Records, 1942-1945
Series 11: Citations, 1942-1949
Series 12: Certificates, 1924-1998
Series 13: Programs, 1930-2008
Series 14: Booklets and Pamphlets, 1934-1997
Series 15: Documents, 1929-1995
Series 16: Newsletters, 1930-1996
Series 17: Articles, 1941-2004
Series 18: Clippings, 1929-2002
Series 19: Personal Accounts
Series 20: Typescripts/Historical Accounts
Series 21: Oral Histories
Series 22: Commemorative Booklets
Series 23: Poetry
Series 24: Speeches
Series 25: Scrapbooks
Series 26: Invitations
Series 27: Menus
Series 28: Memorabilia
Series 29: Film, Video, and DVD Recordings
Series 30: Audio Recordings
Series 31: Maps and Ships' Plans
Series 32: Miscellaneous Artworks
Series 33: Framed Items
Series 34: Plaques
Series 35: Exhibits