Log In | Contact Us
Browse: Collections Subjects Creators Record Groups

Texas Commerce Bank | University of Houston Libraries

Name: Texas Commerce Bank


Historical Note: Texas Commerce Bank and its predecessors had been in Houston for just over a century at the time of the historic merger between TCB and Chemical New York in 1987. TCB, formerly known as Texas National Bank of Commerce Houston, was a product of the 1964 merger of the National Bank of Commerce and the Texas National Bank. Since 1886, a number of banks had been purchased or had merged to form these two, the largest in Houston by the mid 1960s. Jesse H. Jones had been associated with NBC since 1912 as founding director, principal stockholder, president, and chairman. At his death in 1956, his holdings in the bank passed to his philanthropic foundation, Houston Endowment. Two years after the 1964 creation of TCB, the bank adopted the marketing name Texas Commerce Bank. In 1968 TCB expanded internationally, opening an office in London, and merged with a number of smaller banks throughout the 1970s. In 1987 branch banking was instituted and TCB merged with Chemical New York, creating the fourth largest banking group in the United States.


Page Generated in: 0.049 seconds (using 97 queries).
Using 2.77MB of memory. (Peak of 2.94MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign