Log In | Contact Us
Browse: Collections Subjects Creators Record Groups

Houston National Bank (Houston, Tex.) | University of Houston Libraries

Name: Houston National Bank (Houston, Tex.)


Historical Note:

The Houston National Bank was founded in 1876 as a private bank by Henry S. Fox, Sr., who served as the bank’s president until his death in 1912. Cofounder Joseph F. Meyers, Sr. succeeded him as president until Henry S. Fox, Jr. assumed the bank’s presidency from 1914 until 1925. In 1928, Houston National Bank moved its headquarters into a newly-constructed building on the southwest corner of Main and Franklin Streets in downtown Houston.

Beginning in 1931, Joseph F. Meyer, Jr. served as president until the bank sold a substantial portion of its stock in 1950 to a group of businessmen, including the President of the Gulftex Drug Company, Irvin M. Shlenker, and longtime Houston National Bank employee Melvin Rouff, who was subsequently made president. The Houston National Bank merged with the Tennessee Bank and Trust Company in 1964.

Note Author: Alison Clemens




Page Generated in: 0.078 seconds (using 94 queries).
Using 2.89MB of memory. (Peak of 3.09MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign