Log In | Contact Us
Browse: Collections Subjects Creators Record Groups

Society of Women Engineers. Houston Area Section | University of Houston Libraries

Name: Society of Women Engineers. Houston Area Section


Historical Note: The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) was founded on May 27, 1950 at the Green Engineering Camp of the Cooper Union in New Jersey as a non-profit educational resource and support to help promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics for women. On October 14 of the same year, the National Board met under the first president of the SWE, Dr. Beatrice A. Hicks. The following year not only saw the first National Conference in New York City but also the first chapter in Pittsburgh. Sections were chartered in Chicago and Los Angeles soon after, as well as student sections at Drexel and Purdue universities. Over the last six decades the SWE has grown to include ten regional sections made up of numerous professional and student sections. The Houston Area section was chartered July 1, 1979 as the thirty-third section.
Sources: Society of Women Engineers, Houston Area Web Site:  http://www.swehouston.org
Note Author: Timothy Wyatt




Page Generated in: 0.098 seconds (using 94 queries).
Using 2.89MB of memory. (Peak of 3.09MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign