Log In | Contact Us
Browse: Collections Subjects Creators Record Groups

Texas Garden Clubs. Houston Council | University of Houston Libraries

Name: Texas Garden Clubs. Houston Council


Historical Note:

The Houston Council of Texas Garden Clubs, Inc. was organized and federated April 22, 1943. A number of Houston garden clubs united to establish a Council with the responsibility of coordinating the activities of local clubs at the state and national levels. A Constitution and By-Laws were adopted at the second Council meeting, in May 1943. After sixty years, the Council dissolved in June 2003 due to decreasing attendance of member clubs.

The Houston Council of Texas Garden Clubs was very active in the community throughout its existence. The Council’s two major community service projects regarded the United States Veterans Administration Hospital and the Lighthouse for the Blind Garden Club. These were ongoing projects over many years. The Council was involved in several activities at the hospital. Beginning in 1951, the Council provided weekly flower arrangements at the hospital chapel, maintained planter boxes, and created several gardens for use as garden therapy for the patients. The Council sponsored the Lighthouse for the Blind Garden Club, founded in 1949. The club provided transportation and activities for its members and Braille transcriptions of club rosters. The Council was also involved in smaller community service projects over the years.

For much of its existence, the Council met once a month, September through May, at the Houston Garden Center in Hermann Park. Officers were elected for two year terms, with elections held in May. Activities included instructional programs and presentations at the meetings, and annual flower shows.





Page Generated in: 0.069 seconds (using 94 queries).
Using 2.89MB of memory. (Peak of 3.09MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign