By Kristen Nicole McAlear
Title: Asians Against Domestic Abuse Records, 1985-2010
Primary Creator: Asians Against Domestic Abuse
Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 09/02/2010
Subjects: Abused women - Care - Texas - Houston, Asian Americans - Texas - Houston, Family violence - Texas - Houston, Nonprofit organizations - Texas - Houston, Social advocacy - Texas - Houston, Social service - Texas - Houston, Women - Services for - Texas - Houston
Forms of Material: Administrative records, Brochures, Clippings (information artifacts), Correspondence, Newsletters
Scope and Contents of the Materials
This collection includes the articles of incorporation, by-laws, administrative documents, informational brochures, records of consciousness raising and fund-raising events, and newspaper clippings for the Asians Against Domestic Abuse organization. Materials are arranged topically and then chronologically, whenever possible. The series included are: Administrative Documents and Brochures and Other Publicity. The collection is comprised of 12 folders contained in 1 box.
Asians Against Domestic Abuse (AADA) was founded in 2001 in order to raise awareness about domestic abuse in the Asian community and provide legal advocacy, community education, social service assistance, and interpretation for the Asian American community. The AADA was founded by Swapna Chaunduri, Rehana Sarwar, Salma Siddiqi, and Shantha Raghuthaman, who organized its first Board of directors. AADA works closely with other social services and women’s centers in Texas and is currently still active. For more information see http://www.aadainc.org
University of Houston Libraries
Open for research.
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, locating copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian.
Photocopy decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis. Patrons are responsible for obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders.
Donated by Lilas Taha for Asians Against Domestic Abuse.
Asians Against Domestic Abuse Records. Courtesy of Special Collections, University of Houston Libraries.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Series:
[Series 1: Administrative Documents
[Series 2: Brochures and Other Publicity
- Series 1: Administrative Documents
- This series includes the articles of incorporation, by-laws, financial and administrative records of the Asians Against Domestic Abuse organization. The series is arranged topically.
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Articles of incorporation, 2001
- Folder 2: Amended bylaws, 2009
- Folder 3: Board of directors information, undated
- Folder 4: AADA Committee descriptions, undated
- Folder 5: Manuals, policies and procedures, undated
- Folder 6: Strategic Plan, 2010–2013
- Folder 7: Administrative forms, undated
- Folder 8: Non-profit corporation forms, 2006, 2008
- Folder 9: Insurance forms, 2010, 2011
- Folder 10: Donations and grants, 2009, 2010
- Series 2: Brochures and Other Publicity
- This series includes informational brochures, records for fundraising and consciousness raising events, and newspaper clippings presenting information about Asians Against Domestic Abuse and its events and activities.
- Box 1
- Folder 11: Brochures and presentations, undated
- Folder 12: Events, 2009-2010
- Folder 13: Clippings, 2002-2008