By Joanie South-Shelley
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The River Oaks Blossom Club collection contains material dating from the Club's inception in 1939 through 1999. The collection is divided into three series: Yearbooks, Administrative, and Photographs. The Yearbooks and Photographs are arranged chronologically. The Administrative series is arranged chronologically, then alphabetically.
The River Oaks Blossom Club was organized in 1939 by a group of River Oaks women who felt the area needed a third garden club. The Club promotes gardening as both an enjoyable social activity and one that benefits the community. The Club meets monthly, October through May, at member's houses to plan activities and conduct Club business. Guest speakers at the monthly meetings have included experts on local and state horticulture. The Club also participates in field trips and provides tours through members' gardens. The Blossom Club's main activity each year is the annual flower show in May at the home of a member. Each show has a particular theme, such as First Ladies or International. In addition to the meetings and flower show, the Blossom Club also promotes civic responsibility. Members have donated their time and gardening talents to local hospitals and nursing homes by preparing decorated Christmas trees, cookie jars, and stamped cards. Although not included in the collection, the Blossom Club has received certificates for its cooperation during World War II with the USO, the Red Cross, the Bond Drive, and the Victory Vegetable Gardens.
University of Houston Libraries
Open for research
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, locating copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian.
Photocopy decisions will be made by Special Collections staff on a case-by-case basis. Patrons are responsible for obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders.
Donated by River Oaks Blossom Club, 2000.
River Oaks Rose Club Records For more information please see http://archon.lib.uh.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=580&q=rose+club.
River Oaks Blossom Club Records, Courtesy of Special Collections & Archives, University of Houston Libraries.
Box and Folder Listing
- Series 1: Yearbooks
- This series consists of twenty-five folders, and contains the yearbooks of the Club, dating from 1939-1990. The yearbooks list the officers, the programs for that year, the committees for the programs and the flower show, and the active members. The yearbooks are dated to coincide with the Club's year, which runs October thrugh May. There are a few yearbooks missing: 1948-1949, 1986-1987, 1987-1988, 1988-1989, 1989-1990, and from 1991 on.
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Yearbooks, 1940-1942
- Folder 2: Yearbooks, 1942-1944
- Folder 3: Yearbooks, 1944-1946
- Folder 4: Yearbooks, 1946-1948
- Folder 5: Yearbooks, 1949-1951
- Folder 6: Yearbooks, 1951-1953
- Folder 7: Yearbooks, 1953--1955
- Folder 8: Yearbooks, 1955-1957
- Folder 9: Yearbooks, 1957-1959
- Folder 10: Yearbooks, 1959-1961
- Folder 11: Yearbooks, 1961-1963
- Folder 12: Yearbooks, 1963-1965
- Folder 13: Yearbooks, 1965-1967
- Folder 14: Yearbooks, 1967-1969
- Folder 15: Yearbooks, 1969-1971
- Folder 16: Yearbooks, 1971-1973
- Folder 17: Yearbooks, 1973-1975
- Folder 18: Yearbooks, 1975-1977
- Folder 19: Yearbooks, 1977-1979
- Folder 20: Yearbooks, 1979-1981
- Folder 21: Yearbooks, 1981-1983
- Folder 22: Yearbooks, 1983-1985
- Folder 23: Yearbooks, 1985--1988
- Folder 24: Yearbooks, 1990-1991
- Folder 25: Yearbooks, 1992-1999
- Folder 26: Yearbooks, 2000-2004
- Series 2: Administrative
- This series contains sixteen folders. Items include minutes, the constitution and by-laws, correspondence, newspaper clippings, information about the Club and its officers, and general horticultural information. The minutes from 1950-1960 are bound in a book. The minutes from 1973-1982 were in a three-ring, leather binder. They have been removed from the binder for preservation purposes, and the binder has been boxed separately in box 4. Some loose materials have been categorized.
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Minutes, 1950-1960
- Folder 2: Minutes, October 1960-May 1964
- Folder 3: Minutes, October 1964-May 1968
- Folder 4: Minutes, October 1968-May 1971
- Folder 5: Minutes, October 1971-May 1975
- Folder 6: Minutes, October 1975-May 1981
- Folder 7: Minutes, October 1979-May 1981
- Folder 8: Constitution and By-Laws, 1996
- Folder 9: Officers, 1989
- Folder 10: Officers, 1996
- Folder 11: Correspondence, 1974-2004
- Folder 12: Newspaper Clippings, 1970, 1997, 2001
- Folder 13: Flower Shows, 1991-2003
- Folder 14: Activities, 1996
- Folder 15: Schedule, 1996-1997
- Folder 16: Gardening Information, 1978-1999
- Series 3: Photographs
- This series contains fifty folders of photographs. The photographs are of the 1985, 1993, 1995, and 1997 flower shows. The negatives from the 1993 show are included in a separate folder. The 1995 photographs are arranged in a photo album, which has not been taken apart. The 1997 photographs were in an album, which has been taken apart. There is one photo of a guest speaker at a Club meeting in 1997. The speaker was the chef from Brennans, a Houston restaurant. Other than this one photograph, all the others are of people and arrangements at the flower shows. Photographs in which people can be identified are placed earlier in the series. Some of the Blossom Club members identified in the photographs include Bootsie Martin, Katherine Manatt, Jeannette Jawarski, Barbara Taitt, Leah Tucker, Grace Gandy, Karol Barnhart, Ann Phenicie, Claire Johnson, and Betsy Anderson.
- Box 3
- Folder 1: Flower Show, 1982
- Folder 2: Flower Show, 1985
- Folder 3: Flower Show, 1989
- Folder 4: Flower Show, 1991
- Folder 5: Flower Show, 1993
- Folder 6: Flower Show, 1995
- Folder 7: Flower Show, 1997
- Folder 8: Flower Show, 1997
- Folder 9: Flower Show, 2003
- Folder 10: San Miguel de Allende, 1994
- Folder 11: Christmas Party, 1994
- Folder 12: Meetings and Activities, 1997-2002
- Folder 13: Fort Worth Trip, 2003
- Folder 14: Photographs, undated
- Series 4: Album
- Folder 1: Flower Show, 1995