By Leigh Fought, Andrea Bean Hough
Scope and Contents of the Materials
This collection is composed of minutes, budgets, programs, and ephemera, arranged into four series. The materials date from 1964-1998 and are organized, for the most part, chronologically. The collection also includes eleven trophies dating from 1991 to 1993. The trophies were awarded at local and national conferences for chapter attendance and best scrapbooks.
The Top Ladies of Distinction is a national professional and humanitarian organization, incorporated in 1964 in Texas. In addition to the national organization, there are local chapters throughout the United States, which hold area meetings. The original focus of the organization was to promote scholarship for today's youth, to provide experiences that would help youth develop social graces to perform comfortably in a cultural society, to point up opportunities for youth to become employable, to help make America beautiful, and to assist the aged. This changed in 1972 to focus on the Top Teens of America (a program for young people, sponsored by the Top Ladies of Distinction), programming for senior citizens, community beautification, and improvement in the status of women. These programming areas have continued to be the main priorities of the Top Ladies of Distinction.
University of Houston Libraries
Open for research.
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, locating copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian.
Donated by Top Ladies of Distinction, 1997
Top Ladies of Distinction Web Page http://www.tlod.org/
Top Ladies of Distinction Records, 1964-2001, Courtesy of Special Collections, University of Houston Libraries
Box and Folder Listing
- Series 1: Administrative
- This series contains minutes and related materials, such as budgets, dating from 1966-1986. It also contains the organization's Constitution and By-laws, and two annual reports of the Top Teens of America, Inc. The materials are arranged chronologically. A small three ring binder entitled "Governance" and dated 1998, is in box 3.
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Constitution and By-laws, 1964
- Folder 2: Governance, 1998
- Folder 3: Minutes, 1966-1969
- Folder 4: Minutes, 1971-1974
- Folder 5: Minutes, 1975-1977
- Folder 6: Minutes, 1978-1979
- Folder 7: Minutes, 1980-1981
- Folder 8: Minutes, 1982-1983, 1985-1986
- Folder 9: Top Teens of America, Inc. Annual Report, 1982 and 1984
- Series 2: Publications
- This series contains an almost complete run of The Crown, the annual publication of the Top Ladies of Distinction. The Crown includes photographs, capsule histories of the area chapters, and information about the activities of the organization. The series also includes three newsletters and a resources manual.
- Box 1
- Folder 10: The Crown, 1967
- Folder 11: The Crown, 1979
- Folder 12: The Crown, 1980
- Folder 13: The Crown, 1982
- Folder 14: The Crown, 1984
- Folder 15: The Crown, 1986
- Folder 16: The Crown, 1989
- Folder 17: The Crown, 1995
- Folder 18: The Crown, 1997
- Folder 19: Newsletters, 1984, 1993
- Box 2
- Folder 1: Community Partnerships Resource Manual, 1998
- Series 3: Programs
- This series is composed of various programs, which document the meetings of the Top Ladies of Distinction. The Syn-Lod programs detail the annual meeting of the organization, which draws members from across the country. Additional programs are included for various area meetings and activities held throughout Texas. Some of the Syn-Lod program folders contain additional materials from the yearly meeting.
- Box 2
- Folder 2: Meetings, 1965-1970
- Folder 3: Syn-Lod, 1971-1974
- Folder 4: Syn-Lod, 1975-1978
- Folder 5: Syn-Lod, 1979-1980, 1982
- Folder 6: Syn-Lod, 1984
- Folder 7: Syn-Lod, 1987
- Folder 8: Syn-Lod, 1988, 1991, 1992
- Folder 9: Syn-Lod, 1995, 1997
- Folder 10: Syn-Lod, 2001
- Folder 11: Assorted, 1964, 1993-1994, 1997
- Series 4: Scrapbooks and Ephemera
- This series contains three scrapbooks and one framed name/logo plate for the Houston Chapter of the Top Ladies of Distinction. Each of the scrapbooks consists of photos, programs and written material revealing the history, members and activities of the organization. The scrapbooks have not been taken apart and re-foldered.
- Box 3
- Item 1: Framed Name/Logo, undated
- Item 2: Scrapbook - History, 1974-1979
- Item 3: Scrapbook - Houston Chapter, 1977
- Item 4: Scrapbook - Teddy A. McDavid, Ed.D., 1993
- Item 5: Governance (2), 1998